On Sunday, November 8th, the Lula Lounge opens its doors to Blues for the Red Door: A charity Blues Revue that benefits the Red Door Family Shelter.
We are all familiar with the stereotype is of an all-male back-up band supporting female singers who are expected to have a certain amount of sex appeal to “sell” the music. “Blues for the Red Door,” is doing it the other way around, presenting a cabaret of 10 top male Blues singers performing in front of an all-woman band. There will even be an appearance by a male burlesque performer to add some “cheek” to this amusing twist.
Among the performers are such luminary blues men as
- Juno Award winner for Best Blues Artist Julian Fauth
- Steven Ambrose, lead singer for the Lincolns
- Musician & JazzFM air personality Danny Marks (Blues FM)
- The Legendary Chuck Jackson, singer for the Downchild Blues Band
- Blues Harp master & singer Mark “Bird” Stafford
- Blues Shouter & songwriter Big Rude Jake
- Juno nominee for Best Blues Artist, Johnny Max
- Roots music master Alfie Smith
- Mr Rick from Rick and the Biscuits
- Sugar Brown
- Sax Master & Maple Blues Award winner Pat Cary
The house band features:
- Marg Stowe, “The Queen of Flange” on guitar and as Musical Director
- Michelle Josef on Drums
- Alison Young on Sax
Sunday November 8.
Lula Lounge, 1585 Dundas St. West
Doors at 6:30pm
Show starts at 7:30pm