1. I need emergency housing, whom do I call?
2. What kinds of services does the Red Door provide for residents?
3. How many people does Red Door serve?
4. How do I volunteer?
5. What is your charitable tax number?
6. What are your sources of funding?
7. Can I get a tax receipt for an in-kind donation?
8. Will I get a tax receipt if I make a donation to Red Door?
9. How much of my donation goes directly to service?
10. How is your organization governed?
I need shelter, whom do I call?
If you or a family you know requires shelter call Central Family Intake at 416-397-5637. Central Family Intake is the clearinghouse for family shelter beds in Toronto. They will know if we have openings and will contact us on your behalf.
If you are a woman seeking shelter from domestic violence call our Crisis Line at 416-423-0310
Si vous désirez obtenir des services en français, prière d’appeler la ligne FEM’AIDE au 1-877-336-2433 (24/7). Ou cliquez - http://femaide.ca/ Si vous êtes femme parlant français touchées par la violence et désirez obtenir hébergement prière d’appeler La Maison a 647-777-6433. Ou cliquez - http://www.lamaison-toronto.org/
What kinds of services does the Red Door provide for residents?
- Crisis counselling
- Legal and immigration assistance
- On-site medical assistance and referrals
- Child care and educational programs (on-site and in local schools)
- Case Management
- Parenting and life skills training
- Assistance in finding and keeping permanent housing
- Support to furnish and move into a new home
- Ongoing help in settling families into their new home and community
How many people does Red Door serve?
We have 161 beds that allow use to serve hundreds of families each year. There are three major reasons why families come to the Red Door.
- Women and their children who are escaping domestic violence
- Refugee claimants seeking asylum
- Families experiencing a housing crisis such as an eviction, escaping unsafe accommodation, and breakdown in family relations.
How do I volunteer?
For information on volunteer opportunities please contact Vinyse Barber, Volunteer Coordinator at (416) 915-5671, ext 235 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit our volunteer page, and complete the online application form. Once your completed application form is received, someone will contact you to discuss current opportunities and schedule an interview if appropriate.
What is your charitable tax number?
Our charitable registration number is 11930 3287 RR0001.
What are your sources of funding?
Our core funding comes through two government agencies: The City of Toronto and the Ministry of Community and Social Services. Funding from these agencies covers our basic operating costs, but in order to provide the important programs that go beyond food and shelter we rely on donations from the community. All donations are applied directly to the programs and services for families.
Red Door adheres strictly to the provisions of the Income Tax Act and regulations. Property of little or only nominal value --e.g. used furniture-- does not qualify as a receiptable donation in-kind. Gifts of services do not qualify. For more information please call 416-915-5671, ext 225.
Will I get a tax receipt if I make a donation to Red Door?
Yes, for financial donations of $20 or more. Tax receipts are processed and mailed or emailed within 1-2 weeks of your donation. Call 416-915-5671, ext 225 or email email@example.com for further information.
How much of my donation goes directly to service?
All financial donations, unless otherwise directed, are applied to the programs and services at our shelters.
How is your organization governed?
A volunteer Board of Directors composed of members drawn from the communities we serve governs the Red Door. The Board establishes the operating policies for the shelter and oversees the agency's financial performance. For more information visit our governance page.