1. I need emergency housing, whom do I call?
2. What kinds of services does the Red Door provide for residents?
3. How many people does Red Door serve?
4. How do I volunteer?
5. What is your charitable tax number?
6. What are your sources of funding?
7. Can I get a tax receipt for an in-kind donation?
8. Will I get a tax receipt if I make a donation to Red Door?
9. How much of my donation goes directly to service?
10. How is your organization governed?
I need emergency housing, whom do I call?
Central Family Intake (CFI) at 416-397-5637
Central Family Intake is the clearinghouse for family shelter beds as well as beds for women with children fleeing domestic abuse in Toronto.
They will know if we have openings at the Red Door and will contact us or another shelter on your behalf.
What kinds of services does the Red Door provide for residents?
- Crisis counselling
- Legal and immigration assistance
- On-site medical assistance and referrals
- Child care and educational programs (on-site and in local schools)
- Case Management
- Parenting and life skills training
- Assistance in finding and keeping permanent housing
- Support to furnish and move into a new home
- Ongoing help in settling families into their new home and community
How many people does Red Door serve?
We have 156 beds that allow use to serve hundreds of families each
year. There are three major reasons why families come to the Red Door.
- One third women and their children who are escaping domestic violence
- Another third are refugee claimants
- Another third are experiencing a housing crisis that can be an eviction, escaping unsafe accommodation, and breakdown in family relations.
How do I volunteer?
For information on volunteer opportunities please contact Vinyse Barber, Volunteer Coordinator at (416) 915-5671, ext 235 or email@example.com. You may also visit our volunteer page, and complete the online application form. Once your completed application form is received, someone will contact you to discuss current opportunities and schedule an interview if appropriate.
What is your charitable tax number?
The Red Door is a not for profit charitable organization whose
registered charitable number is 11930 3287 RR0001.
What are your sources of funding?
We are funded through two government agencies: The City of Toronto and the Ministry of Community and Social Services. Funding from these agencies covers our basic operating costs, but in order to cover the costs of the important programs that we provide beyond food and shelter we rely on donations from the community. All donations are applied directly to the programs and services for families.
Red Door adheres strictly to the provisions of the Income Tax Act and regulations. Property of little or only nominal value --e.g. used furniture-- does not qualify as a receiptable donation-in-kind. Gifts of services do not qualify. For more information please call 416-915-5671, ext 232..
Will I get a tax receipt if I make a donation to Red Door?
Yes, for financial donations of $20 or more. Tax receipts are processed and mailed or emailed within 1-2 weeks of your donation. Call 416-915-5671, ext 232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
How much of my donation goes directly to service?
All donated moneys are applied directly to the programs and services of the Shelter.
How is your organization governed?
A volunteer Board of Directors composed of members drawn from the communities we serve governs the Red Door. The Board establishes the operating policies for the shelter and oversees the agency's financial performance. For more information visit our governance page.