Updated on: November 4th, 2021
***Please note that our Moving Program has been put on hold and will resume after the holidays. Thank you so much for all your support***
About the Moving Program
When a family is ready to leave the shelter our Moving Program provides them with basic furniture and household items to help them get started, allowing them to save money for food, clothing and other necessities and helping them settle into a place to call home.
What types of donations are needed?
High priority items being accepted by the Moving Program are:
- table and chair sets, dining hutches and sideboards
- chests of drawers and dressers, night tables
- coffee tables, end tables
- shelving units and desks
- TVs (no later than 2010 models)
Currently, we are unable to accept mattresses, bed frames, sofas, arm chairs, large appliances and sofa beds. Furniture donations must be clean and in excellent condition to be accepted.
We rely entirely on community support to fund the operation of this important program which helps more than 100 families every year. Help us keep this program on the road! Help today!
- We pick-up furniture from Bathurst Street to Markham Road in the east and from Lake Ontario north to Lawrence.
- Pick-ups have a fee of $25-$45 within these boundaries. This helps to offset the cost of operating and insuring our truck.
- Pick ups must be scheduled in advance. There is a 2-3 week average waiting period.
- Our driver will accept only items that can be reused as is and has the right to refuse based on condition or storage space.
- The Moving Program costs are funded entirely by private donations. Tax receipts are provided for financial donations of $20 or more given in addition to the $25 service fee.
- Please note: we cannot provide tax receipts for donations of used furniture or items.
We are unable to accept:
- Anything that needs to be fixed, washed, or cleaned
- Items that are torn, tattered, dirty, stained or have other significant signs of wear such as sagging.
- Items that have mold, mildew or bed bugs.
- Mattresses, bed frames, sofas, arm chairs, and other upholstered furniture
To learn more about how the Bed Bug issue has affected our moving program and the reasons for not being able to accept these items, please read the following article.
How does the Moving Program work?
First, Red Door Housing workers assist clients in finding accommodation. Then, our Outreach and Case workers assess clients’ furniture needs and pass that information along to our coordinator who arranges the pick up of donated furniture and the delivery to our clients. Finally, our driver is kept busy most evenings and weekends using the Red Door moving truck which was generously donated to us by the Canadian Tire Foundation for Families. Our driver picks up donated furniture and either delivers it directly to a client or stores it for a future move.